Thursday, June 14, 2012

Oranges and there Benefits.

Weigh in 201
 
Had a great time with my brother and family. Happy Birthday to him. For his birthday he is off to Texas. If anyone would like to say a prayer for a safe trip be my guest.  My mom made green Chile cheese enchiladas. Which is one of my favorite meals that she makes! yum yum!
Today is a good day but i believe I'm getting my tooth pulled today. I will be eating light because I don't want to throw up from the anesthetic. I have my food plan for the day and some wiggle room for anything that may arise.



I have been craving oranges like crazy for the last few days! So I decided to do a little research.  What are the benefits of oranges?

One orange is rich in Vitamin C but, most of us know that. what does Vitamin C actually do? The vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which boost the immune system. Vitamin C also helps the body to fight against infections.   I have always heard that Oranges are immune system boosters but, it was nice to find out that they also have compounds in them that are anti-inflammatory agents. Other than Vitamin C there are many other nutrients within an Orange such as; pectin, bile acids, Hesperetin, Narigenin, and many other Vitamins.  They have been known to lower blood pressure and cholesterol.  They are rich in dietary fiber and low in calories.  Pectin helps to protect the mucous membrane of the colon from exposure to toxins and will bind with cancer causing cells in the colon. Pectin has also shown to be an active blood cholesterol reducer.  It also contains Phytochemicals call Hesperetin and Narigenin which are flavanoids. The compounds are immune system boosters, and have anti-inflammatory characteristics as well. They also have Vitamin A which helps to maintain a healthy mucous membrane and helps the body to protect itself from lung and oral cavity cancers!  Oranges are also a good source of Vitamin B complex.  It also has other great minerals that our bodies need to function like potassium and calcium. Potassium is a part of cells and body fluids.  It helps to control heart rate and blood pressure.  
Overall they have been know to help in reduce risk for cancers, many chronic diseases, arthritis, obesity, and coronary heart disease.  
photo from:  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=37



Have a wonderful day! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment